Search This Blog

Loading...

November 30, 2012

What do culinary arts, hunting, and a doctoral degree have in common? A lot if you're Amy Green

Amy Green is an associate professor in the Community & Technical College’s Culinary Arts, Hospitality/Dietetics & Nutrition Division. She completed her Doctorate of Education from Walden University in October 2012. She holds a Master of Arts in teaching from Alaska Pacific University and a Bachelor of Science in hotel and restaurant management from Northern Arizona University. She discusses how she chose the topic for her doctoral research and what she enjoys about being a faculty member at the University of Alaska Anchorage.

Amy Green is an associate professor in the
Culinary Arts, Hospitality/Dietetics & Nutrition Division.
Q: You recently completed your doctoral program. Can you share a little bit about your doctoral research topic and why you selected it?
A: My research topic was on the training and support opportunities for online educators at UAA. When I first started to teach online here, I found that the technology was moving faster than the training and support options to faculty. Instructors were struggling to keep up with the needs of our distance students. I wanted to research and develop training models to close that gap.

Q: What first sparked your interest in your field?
A: Being from the South, there’s always a meal to plan or eat. My great uncle came from Sicily and founded the famous Commander’s Palace in New Orleans. The restaurant business is in my blood. I love being able to pass on my knowledge to students interested in the field.

Q: What excites you about your work as a UAA faculty member?
A: I love interacting with students, staff, faculty and customers every day. In the culinary arts program, I am surrounded by creative and energized people – that keeps me motivated.

Q: What is your background prior to joining CTC?
A: I managed hotels and restaurants for 15 years in the Lower 48 before returning home and joining the UAA team. It’s the perfect job for me.

Q: Are you originally from Alaska? If not, what brought you here?
A: I am originally from New Orleans, but I grew up here in Alaska. I miss the Southern food and culture but Alaska is my true home.

Q: What are your hobbies and interests?
A: When I am not looking after my family, I like to travel, read, entertain and enjoy the many adventures Alaska has to offer. My newest hobby is hunting Alaskan game with my husband.