November 20, 2013

CTC Staff Profile: Emily DaLuz

Emily DaLuz is a program developer and marketing coordinator for the UAA Community & Technical College’s Continuing Education Department. She worked in a temporary role before joining the department as a full-time staff member in September 2013.

Emily DaLuz
Emily DaLuz is a program developer and marketing coordinator
for the Continuing Education Department.
Q: Why do you want to work in higher education?
A: Education has always been an important topic in my family. My grandfather encouraged and supported me all through my educational career. He started from scratch and put himself through college and has passed down the desire to learn. He’s 91 and still works every day and continues his professional development. Education, higher and life-long learning, creates a thriving environment – one that I want to always be a part of and help create.

 Q: What is your background prior to accepting your current role at CTC?
A: I am a certified teacher for the states of Tennessee (where I am from) and Alaska. I’ve lived in Anchorage for four years now and have worked for amazing organizations like the Alaska Railroad Corporation and the Anchorage School District. I was a business teacher at Eagle River High School during the 2011-2012 school year and lost my job due to budget cuts and my lack of tenure. As a first-year teacher, it was a hardship I wish I could have been spared. But my love for education kept me going.

I taught at Alaska Career College for a brief time before I met with Stephen Strom, CTC associate dean of extended studies and workforce development, and Dana Thorp Patterson, continuing education manager. They both felt confident I would be a great fit to become a program developer and trainer for the Continuing Education Department.

Q: What excites you about this position in particular? More generally, what do you enjoy most about your profession?
A: This position seems custom fit for me. I am allowed to explore new programs that could benefit the community of Anchorage. I get to be in the classroom, where I thoroughly enjoy helping students of all ages learn by developing current skills or learning new ones for their careers and personal growth. I also get to use amazing software to create documents for publication, provide customer service, and help grow and strengthen a program I believe in.

Q: Are you originally from Alaska? If not, what brought you here? What do you most enjoy about the state?
A: I have lived in Alaska for four years. I am originally from San Diego, Calif. Most of my family lives there. My mom moved me to Nashville, Tenn., when I was 12 so that she could pursue a musical career. I spent 15 years in Nashville and completed my education there until I felt the need for another adventure. I came to Alaska for adventure, and I believe I will be a “lifer.” I’ve traveled quite a bit within and outside of the U.S., and I have never lived or visited anywhere as beautiful as here. I love hiking, kayaking, and driving all over this state. Sleeping Lady (Mt. Susitna) and the Chugach Mountains are my favorite parts of Alaska. I also love Seward and Sitka, and I’m excited to see more.

Q: What are your hobbies and interests?
A: I love Aces hockey. I am a season ticket holder, so during the winter I am there to cheer them on. I found out this past summer that I love sea kayaking. I am planning to do that a lot more next summer. I also love music, and I try to catch a concert whenever I have time. I have an amazing group of friends and an awesome 10-year-old golden lab named Kershaw. I’ve been going to Anchorage City Church for about six months now, and I really love it there.